Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Who’sWho Africa AWARDS
  • About Time Africa Magazine
  • Contact Us
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • Magazine
  • World News

Home » News » Dangote Sell His Multi-Billion-Dollar Oil Refinery In Nigeria

Dangote Sell His Multi-Billion-Dollar Oil Refinery In Nigeria

July 21, 2024
in News
0
540
SHARES
4.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, is willing to sell his multi-billion-dollar oil refinery to NNPC Limited, Nigeria’s state-owned energy company, amid ongoing disputes with the federal government.

The refinery, with a capacity of 650,000 barrels per day, started operations last year after a decade of construction but has encountered challenges, including difficulties in sourcing crude oil from international producers.

NNPC, which has a supply agreement with the refinery, has delivered only 6.9 million barrels of oil since last year, forcing the refinery to seek alternative sources from countries like Brazil and the United States.

Dangote also expressed his frustration with the obstacles facing his refinery, stating that he is prepared to relinquish the project if it will ultimately benefit the country.

“Let them (NNPCL) buy me out and run the refinery the best way they can. They have labelled me a monopolist. That’s an incorrect and unfair allegation, but it’s OK. If they buy me out, at least, their so-called monopolist would be out of the way,” Dangote said in a recent interview with Premium Times on Sunday.

ReadAlso

Africa’s billionaire boom masks a crisis for the many

Dangote daughters take on growing leadership roles as billionaire tycoon steps back

Dangote, who has long dominated Nigeria’s cement, salt, and sugar industries, ventured into oil and gas, a move that has proven challenging.

The refinery cost $19 billion to build, more than double the initial estimate. It promises to reduce Nigeria’s reliance on imported fuel and save up to 30% of the foreign exchange spent on imports.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is understood that the refinery, set to release its first batch of petrol to the Nigerian market in August, has been operating at just over half its capacity due to difficulties in sourcing crude oil from international producers.

“As you probably know, I am 67 years old. In less than three years, I will be 70. I need very little to live the rest of my life. I can’t take the refinery or any other property or asset to my grave. Everything I do is in the interest of my country,” Dangote said.
“This refinery can help resolve the problem, but it seems some people are uncomfortable with me in the picture. So I am ready to let go, let the NNPC buy me out and run the refinery. At least the country will have high-quality products and create jobs,” he added.

Dangote’s decision comes after facing several obstacles, which he believes validate the caution advised by friends and associates when he invested billions into Nigeria’s economy.

“Four years ago, one of my very wealthy friends began to invest his money abroad. I disagreed with him and urged him to rethink his action in the interest of his country. He blamed his action on policy inconsistencies and interest groups. That friend has been taunting me in the past few days, saying he warned me and that he has been proven right,” Dangote said.

Devakumar Edwin, Vice President of Oil and Gas at Dangote Group, recently alleged that the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) is permitting the importation of substandard fuel into the country. In response, NMDPRA’s CEO, Farouk Ahmed, countered that diesel produced by Dangote’s refinery and other similar facilities, such as Waltersmith and Aradel, contains high levels of sulfur, potentially damaging vehicle engines and the environment.

However, during a recent tour of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Dangote Fertiliser Limited complex by members of the House of Representatives, Aliko Dangote disputed the regulator’s claims. Lab tests conducted during the tour revealed that Dangote’s diesel contains a mere 87.6 ppm of sulfur, significantly lower than the 1800 ppm and 2000 ppm found in imported samples. Dangote challenged the regulator to conduct an impartial comparison of the quality of his refinery’s products versus imported ones, advocating for a fair assessment to determine the best interests of Nigeria.

Also during the tour, Dangote announced that he would halt his investment in Nigeria’s steel industry to avoid accusations of monopoly.

Tags: Aliko DangoteDangote
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Kamala Harris’s full statement: ‘My intention is to earn and win this nomination’

Next Post

Autism Can Be Reversed, Scientists Discover

You MayAlso Like

News

Relics From an Ancient Egyptian ‘Party Town’ Are Pulled Out of the Sea

August 29, 2025
News

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

August 28, 2025
News

Delta State at 34: A Beacon of Progress and Promise, says Rector Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi Uku

August 27, 2025
News

Passenger train derails in Nigeria, 6 passengers injured

August 26, 2025
News

Stolen Soil, Land Grabbing: Mburubu Community Sends SOS to Enugu Govt

August 26, 2025
News

Gov Mbah Charges Civil Servants to Embrace e-Governance in Enugu

August 25, 2025
Next Post

Autism Can Be Reversed, Scientists Discover

Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Soludo and Peter Obi

Discussion about this post

Inside the Battle for Ownership of Madonna University

Stolen Soil, Land Grabbing: Mburubu Community Sends SOS to Enugu Govt

NYSC Member Shares Harrowing Experience with Anambra Vigilantes

New discovery at site of Jesus resurrection corroborates the Bible

Tinubu’s Minister, Uche Nnaji Faces Fire Over Alleged Non-Performance In Science, Technology Sector Amid Defection Plan

Kemi Badenoch reveals ‘hysterical’ level of personal attacks faced as a black woman

  • British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

    1240 shares
    Share 496 Tweet 310
  • Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

    1066 shares
    Share 426 Tweet 267
  • Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

    971 shares
    Share 388 Tweet 243
  • ‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

    904 shares
    Share 361 Tweet 226
  • Crisis echoes, fears grow in Amechi Awkunanaw in Enugu State

    735 shares
    Share 294 Tweet 184
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

April 13, 2023

Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

December 27, 2022
Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

September 22, 2023
‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

March 21, 2023
Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu, wife of Willie Obiano, former governor of Anambra state

NIGERIA: No, wife of Biafran warlord, Bianca Ojukwu lied – Ebele Obiano:

0

SOUTH AFRICA: TO LEAVE OR NOT TO LEAVE?

0
kelechi iheanacho

TOP SCORER: IHEANACHA

0
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

WHAT CAN’TBE TAKEN AWAY FROM JONATHAN

0

Prince Harry ‘to meet with King Charles’ when he returns to UK for anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death

August 29, 2025

Relics From an Ancient Egyptian ‘Party Town’ Are Pulled Out of the Sea

August 29, 2025

Get your children the chickenpox jab to stop the anti-vaxxers, minister tells parents

August 29, 2025

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

August 28, 2025

ABOUT US

Time Africa Magazine

TIME AFRICA MAGAZINE is an African Magazine with a culture of excellence; a magazine without peer. Nearly a third of its readers hold advanced degrees and include novelists, … READ MORE >>

SECTIONS

  • Aviation
  • Column
  • Crime
  • Europe
  • Featured
  • Gallery
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Israel-Hamas
  • Lifestyle
  • Magazine
  • Middle-East
  • News
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Russia-Ukraine
  • Science
  • Special Report
  • Sports
  • TV/Radio
  • UAE
  • UK
  • US
  • World News

Useful Links

  • AllAfrica
  • Channel Africa
  • El Khabar
  • The Guardian
  • Cairo Live
  • Le Republicain
  • Magazine: 9771144975608
  • Subscribe to TIME AFRICA biweekly news magazine

    Enjoy handpicked stories from around African continent,
    delivered anywhere in the world

    Subscribe

    • About Time Africa Magazine
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
    • Politics
    • Column
    • Interviews
    • Gallery
    • Lifestyle
    • Special Report
    • Sports
    • TV/Radio
    • Aviation
    • Health
    • Science
    • World News

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.