Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Who’sWho Africa AWARDS
  • About TimeAfrica Magazine
  • Contact Us
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • Magazine
  • World News

Home » Sports » Olympics gender row boxer Imane Khelif to turn professional

Olympics gender row boxer Imane Khelif to turn professional

Algerian was at the centre of controversy at Paris 2024 after failing eligibility test at last year’s World Championships | By BEN RUMSBY

October 22, 2024
in Sports
0
Imane-Khelif-Olympic-medalist

Imane Khelif’s Olympic gold in the women’s 66kg boxing event at Paris 2024 was marred by controversy Credit: Getty Images/Ariana Cubillos

541
SHARES
4.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Imane Khelif, the Algerian boxer at the centre of the gender storm to engulf this summer’s Olympics, has announced she is to turn professional.

Khelif, who won women’s welterweight gold at Paris 2024 after being disqualified from the last World Championships upon being ruled to have failed a gender eligibility test, also revealed she would fight in Liverpool next year.
The 25-year-old disclosed her future plans during a press conference at the headquarters of the Algerian Olympic Committee on Sunday.

Announcing a documentary was in the works about her “success story”, Khelif said: “I will soon enter the world of professional boxing, I have many offers.

“Currently, I have not made up my mind about where I will enter professional boxing.

“But very soon I will take this step. We, as Algerians, would like to see our level in the field of professionalism.”

ReadAlso

Russia’s Economic Promises to Africa Prove Empty

Algeria Targets Frontier, Unconventional Resources to Maximize Production

That may not come until after she competes at a rebel World Championships staged in Liverpool in September, in which she said she intended to participate.

The inaugural World Boxing Championships at the M&S Bank Arena has been established by World Boxing, the new international federation founded in a bid to ensure the sport remains in the Olympics.
The furore over the participation of Khelif at this summer’s Games was linked to the omission of boxing from the Games programme for LA 2028.

ADVERTISEMENT

She and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting – who also won gold after being deemed to have failed a gender eligibility test at the last World Championship – have become caught up in a years-long war between the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Boxing Association (IBA).

The IBA, which was behind the disqualification of both boxers, was stripped of the right to run the Olympic boxing competition following a corruption scandal that erupted during the 2016 Games.

That has seen the last two editions take place under IOC rules that controversially do not prevent women with differences of sexual development (DSD) competing in the female category of combat sports.

The IOC refused to ban Khelif and Lin from this summer’s Games, stressing that both had been assigned female at birth and questioning the credibility of the results of the IBA’s gender tests.

The impasse led to the ugly spectacle of a tearful Angela Carini abandoning her Olympic bout against Khelif inside 46 seconds, before proclaiming: “I had to preserve my life.”

The likes of JK Rowling, Elon Musk and Donald Trump all waded into the row, prompting Khelif to file a lawsuit to French authorities over comments made about her gender online.

Eddie Hearn open to promoting Khelif
Her decision to turn professional comes after top promoter Eddie Hearn revealed he would be open to signing her up.

He told IFL TV: “Yes, if the facts were laid out and it was in a position where there is no reason why this individual shouldn’t compete as a female.

“Yes, I would, commercially. One, she is a talented fighter. Two, commercially, I think she has up to two million Instagram followers, up from 30,000, so the answer is yes.
“But there are probably facts that we don’t know are true around the situation.

“But if a fighter was deemed, you know, female with no physical advantages, but again we hear about X/Y chromosomes, and I haven’t seen anything, I’ve just seen someone say: ‘We’ve done this test.’

“Do we get to see it ? Or are we just going to believe that narrative? It’s not ever one that I’d ever go, ‘I’m not getting involved in this conversation’. It’s a topical conversation.”

Source: The Telegraph
Tags: AlgeriaImane KhelifParis Olympics 2024
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Nigerian Immigration Arrests Bobrisky At Seme Border

Next Post

EFCC Re-arraigns Former Kwara Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed for Alleged N5.78bn Fraud

You MayAlso Like

Sports

Can Arne Slot save his job from the wreckage of Liverpool’s season?

November 30, 2025
Sports

How Eberechi Eze made a mockery of Tottenham and changed Arsenal’s Premier League fate

November 24, 2025
Sports

Who can qualify for the World Cup this week?

November 17, 2025
Sports

How Pep Guardiola reinvented Manchester City again

November 12, 2025
Erling Haaland has enjoyed a highly prolific start to the season  - Getty Images
Sports

How Haaland’s humility is at the heart of his success: ‘I’m just Erling’

November 4, 2025
Sports

FIFA Fires Entire Refereeing Team After El Clásico Controversy

November 3, 2025
Next Post
Former-Kwara-Governor-Abdulfatah-Ahmed

EFCC Re-arraigns Former Kwara Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed for Alleged N5.78bn Fraud

Elon-Musk

U.S. Agencies Fund, and Fight With Elon Musk. A Trump Presidency Could Give Him Power Over Them

Discussion about this post

Nollywood Actor Reportedly Dead After Night Out In South Africa

The Return of the Beast: SWAT Accused of Reviving SARS-Era Brutality in Enugu

Bandits threaten to kidnap President Tinubu, Govs In Days Ahead, as Boko Haram Beheads Two Women

Coup d’état: Guinea-Bissau Army Seizes Power, Deposes President

Pope Leo issues new decree on polygamy

WAEC gives update on five compulsory subjects ahead of May\June 2026

  • British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

    1244 shares
    Share 498 Tweet 311
  • Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

    1069 shares
    Share 428 Tweet 267
  • Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

    977 shares
    Share 391 Tweet 244
  • ‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

    906 shares
    Share 362 Tweet 226
  • Crisis echoes, fears grow in Amechi Awkunanaw in Enugu State

    739 shares
    Share 296 Tweet 185
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

April 13, 2023

Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

December 27, 2022
Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

September 22, 2023
‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

March 21, 2023
Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu, wife of Willie Obiano, former governor of Anambra state

NIGERIA: No, wife of Biafran warlord, Bianca Ojukwu lied – Ebele Obiano:

0

SOUTH AFRICA: TO LEAVE OR NOT TO LEAVE?

0
kelechi iheanacho

TOP SCORER: IHEANACHA

0
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

WHAT CAN’TBE TAKEN AWAY FROM JONATHAN

0

AfDB loans Nigeria $500m to support economic governance, energy transition

November 30, 2025

Lured by Jobs, They Ended Up ‘Going to War’ for Russia

November 30, 2025

Can Arne Slot save his job from the wreckage of Liverpool’s season?

November 30, 2025

38-Year-Old Nigerian Patient with Rare Skull Base Tumour Undergoes Complex 11-Hour Surgery

November 28, 2025

ABOUT US

Time Africa Magazine

TIMEAFRICA MAGAZINE is an African Magazine with a culture of excellence; a magazine without peer. Nearly a third of its readers hold advanced degrees and include novelists, … READ MORE >>

SECTIONS

  • Aviation
  • Column
  • Crime
  • Europe
  • Featured
  • Gallery
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Israel-Hamas
  • Lifestyle
  • Magazine
  • Middle-East
  • News
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Russia-Ukraine
  • Science
  • Special Report
  • Sports
  • TV/Radio
  • UAE
  • UK
  • US
  • World News

Useful Links

  • AllAfrica
  • Channel Africa
  • El Khabar
  • The Guardian
  • Cairo Live
  • Le Republicain
  • Magazine: 9771144975608
  • Subscribe to TIMEAFRICA MAGAZINE biweekly news magazine

    Enjoy handpicked stories from around African continent,
    delivered anywhere in the world

    Subscribe

    • About TimeAfrica Magazine
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS

    © 2025 TimeAfrica Magazine - All Right Reserved. TimeAfrica Magazine Ltd is published by Times Associates, registered Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
    • Politics
    • Column
    • Interviews
    • Gallery
    • Lifestyle
    • Special Report
    • Sports
    • TV/Radio
    • Aviation
    • Health
    • Science
    • World News

    © 2025 TimeAfrica Magazine - All Right Reserved. TimeAfrica Magazine Ltd is published by Times Associates, registered Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.