Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Who’sWho Africa AWARDS
  • About Time Africa Magazine
  • Contact Us
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • Magazine
  • World News

Home » Special Report » Search Continues For Hundreds Of Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolchildren

Search Continues For Hundreds Of Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolchildren

March 11, 2024
in Special Report
0
541
SHARES
4.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Nigerian security forces continued to search forests and set up roadblocks in the north-west of the country on Sunday in an attempt to find hundreds of kidnapped schoolchildren, but observers said combing the woodland expanses could take weeks.

More than 280 children aged between seven and 18 were taken from a school in Kuriga on Thursday in one of the biggest mass-abductions in recent months in Nigeria’s turbulent north-west. A further 15 children were taken in another raid on a school in Sokoto on Saturday.

The two abductions were the latest in a series of group kidnappings by gunmen, where criminal gangs target schools, colleges and highways as they hunt for large groups of victims to make ransom demands. More than 200 other people, mostly women and children displaced by conflict, were taken in a separate raid in the north-eastern state Borno last week.

No group has claimed responsibility for the school abductions. Militant jihadists waging an insurgency in the north-east were suspected of carrying out the kidnapping in Borno.

Children who had escaped the kidnappers in Kuriga described their ordeal after being taken from their school in a quiet agrarian village about 60 miles outside the north-west city of Kaduna. At about 8am on Thursday, when the school’s 1,000 students were about to settle into their classes, dozens of armed men in military uniforms rode on motorbikes into the school grounds.

ReadAlso

Music icon, Onyeka Onwenu, dies at 72

Ex-Minister, Stella Oduah, Others Arraigned Over Alleged N5Billion Fraud, Plead Not Guilty

Abubakar, 18, a secondary school pupil, was among the children herded into the forest as they were beaten with horsewhips, but he managed to escape. “We trekked for hours in the scorching heat until we were all exhausted,” Abubakar told AFP. He said the kidnappers separated girls from boys. “There were more girls than boys.”

Lawan Yaro, a villager whose five grandchildren were among those abducted, said his hopes were fading. He said people were used to the region’s insecurity, “but it has never been in this manner”.

ADVERTISEMENT

More than 3,500 people have been abducted across Nigeria in the last year, according to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data project, cited by Associated Press.

The gangs are “adapting their strategies and further entrenching themselves in the north-west through extortion”, James Barnett, a researcher on west Africa at the US-based Hudson Institute, told the Associated Press.

In April 2014 Boko Haram militants triggered an international outcry by kidnapping more than 250 schoolgirls from Chibok in Borno state. Some of those girls are still missing.

Nigeria’s armed forces are fighting on several fronts, including against armed criminals in the north-west and a longrunning jihadist insurgency in the north-east that has killed 40,000 people and displaced more than 2 million since 2009.

By Angelique Chrisafis |The Guardian UK, Agence France-Presse and Associated Press contributed to this report

Tags: Kidnapped SchoolchildrenNigerian
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Details of UK Visa Ban For Care Workers’ Dependants

Next Post

How Emefiele Allegedly Awarded Multi-Billion Naira Contracts to Family, Associates

You MayAlso Like

Special Report

Inside the Battle for Ownership of Madonna University

August 28, 2025
Special Report

Kemi Badenoch reveals ‘hysterical’ level of personal attacks faced as a black woman

August 25, 2025
News

When Truth Fights Back: A Rebuttal to the False Allegations Against Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi Uku

August 21, 2025
Special Report

Brutalized female NYSC in Anambra —Dismissals make headlines. Convictions make justice

August 20, 2025
Special Report

How Wike Secretly Bought $2Million U.S. Mansion In Wife, Children’s Names

August 20, 2025
Special Report

The Fall of Mele Kyari: From Oil Chief to Fraud Suspect

August 20, 2025
Next Post

How Emefiele Allegedly Awarded Multi-Billion Naira Contracts to Family, Associates

Xavi, Cancelo wary of Osimhen

Discussion about this post

Inside the Battle for Ownership of Madonna University

Stolen Soil, Land Grabbing: Mburubu Community Sends SOS to Enugu Govt

Kemi Badenoch reveals ‘hysterical’ level of personal attacks faced as a black woman

NYSC Member Shares Harrowing Experience with Anambra Vigilantes

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

Six beers that are good for your gut health – and the ones to avoid

  • British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

    1240 shares
    Share 496 Tweet 310
  • Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

    1066 shares
    Share 426 Tweet 267
  • Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

    972 shares
    Share 389 Tweet 243
  • ‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

    904 shares
    Share 361 Tweet 226
  • Crisis echoes, fears grow in Amechi Awkunanaw in Enugu State

    735 shares
    Share 294 Tweet 184
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

April 13, 2023

Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

December 27, 2022
Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

September 22, 2023
‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

March 21, 2023
Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu, wife of Willie Obiano, former governor of Anambra state

NIGERIA: No, wife of Biafran warlord, Bianca Ojukwu lied – Ebele Obiano:

0

SOUTH AFRICA: TO LEAVE OR NOT TO LEAVE?

0
kelechi iheanacho

TOP SCORER: IHEANACHA

0
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

WHAT CAN’TBE TAKEN AWAY FROM JONATHAN

0

Ex-IGP Solomon Arase Dies at 69

August 31, 2025
The tallest bridge in the world begins pre-opening load tests in Guizhou province on Aug 21, 2025. (LIU QING / FOR CHINA DAILY)

China finishes world’s highest bridge

August 31, 2025
The mountainous northern tip of Somalia’s Puntland State has become the base of operations of the Islamic State group’s al-Karrar office, which coordinates financing for the group’s terrorist operations across African, the Middle East and Central Asia. GETTY IMAGES/THE WASHINGTON POST

Terrorists Killed 150,000 Across Africa in Past Decade, Study Finds

August 31, 2025

Prince Harry ‘to meet with King Charles’ when he returns to UK for anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death

August 29, 2025

ABOUT US

Time Africa Magazine

TIME AFRICA MAGAZINE is an African Magazine with a culture of excellence; a magazine without peer. Nearly a third of its readers hold advanced degrees and include novelists, … READ MORE >>

SECTIONS

  • Aviation
  • Column
  • Crime
  • Europe
  • Featured
  • Gallery
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Israel-Hamas
  • Lifestyle
  • Magazine
  • Middle-East
  • News
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Russia-Ukraine
  • Science
  • Special Report
  • Sports
  • TV/Radio
  • UAE
  • UK
  • US
  • World News

Useful Links

  • AllAfrica
  • Channel Africa
  • El Khabar
  • The Guardian
  • Cairo Live
  • Le Republicain
  • Magazine: 9771144975608
  • Subscribe to TIME AFRICA biweekly news magazine

    Enjoy handpicked stories from around African continent,
    delivered anywhere in the world

    Subscribe

    • About Time Africa Magazine
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
    • Politics
    • Column
    • Interviews
    • Gallery
    • Lifestyle
    • Special Report
    • Sports
    • TV/Radio
    • Aviation
    • Health
    • Science
    • World News

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.