Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Who’sWho Africa AWARDS
  • About Time Africa Magazine
  • Contact Us
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
  • Home
  • Magazine
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • World News
    • US
    • UAE
    • Europe
    • UK
    • Israel-Hamas
    • Russia-Ukraine
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Column
  • Interviews
  • Special Report
No Result
View All Result
Time Africa Magazine
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
  • News
  • Magazine
  • World News

Home » News » World Bank funded Tigray recovery project in full swing

World Bank funded Tigray recovery project in full swing

June 3, 2023
in News
0
World Bank on glass building. Mirrored sky and city modern facade. Global capital, business, finance, economy, banking and money concept 3D rendering animation.

World Bank on glass building. Mirrored sky and city modern facade. Global capital, business, finance, economy, banking and money concept 3D rendering animation.

542
SHARES
4.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is accelerating its work to restore basic services in Ethiopia’s conflict-torn Tigray region as part of a recovery project entrusted to it by the Ethiopian government.

Through the rapid response programs, the office reopened 12 schools and 12 health centers across four woredas initially, with a fifth woreda added lately. The funding will help resume basic education and health services disrupted by the two-year conflict.

The project marks a scaling up of aid for Tigray’s recovery, which faces immense needs after violence, looting and destruction left infrastructures in disarray.

Following an agreement signed between the Ministry of Finance and UNOPS in July last year, UNOPS was delegated to execute the program in Tigray as the war was active, and the federal government was unable to access the region.

The Office is ramping up support for recovery efforts in Ethiopia’s war-torn Tigray region as part of a $300 million World Bank-funded project.

Tigray was one of five conflict-affected regions chosen for the initiative that was approved a year ago. The others were Benishangul-Gumuz, Amhara, Oromia and Afar.

According to Worknesh Mekonnen, UNOPS Multi-Country Office Director, the agency has received two installments out of the USD 25 million designated for recovery operations in Tigray and tasked to the UNOPS.

As per the information from the UNOPS Ethiopia office, they are supporting residents in Hintalo, Abergele, Hawzen, Asgede and Endemahoni woredas.

Covering stipends for 411 teachers and 408 health workers to get schools and clinics running again, the aim is to help students resume their education and patients receive medical care.

More than 10,000 students have returned to classrooms after the implementation of the initial phase of the programme, Worknesh said.

“Simultaneously, as we rehabilitated and restored, we made sure all teachers and kids would come back to classes that were opened,” she told The Reporter.

The director revealed that her team launched intervention programs before the Tigray peace agreement, adopting a strategy of accessing places they could only reach.

The modest assistance is now providing signs of hope in five Tigray woredas where schools and health centers received support to reopen.

Facilities received bedding, stationery, cleaning supplies and educational materials from UNOPS, according to information from its Ethiopia office. The agency also procured 3,000 desks and blackboards to distribute to the schools in coming weeks.

“Inside Tigray, it was relatively peaceful in selected areas, so we used that opportunity to access and resume classes in a few schools,” Worknesh said.

The Office is currently embarking on the first of its two major steps for the project: rapid response. Facilities that are less than 40 percent damaged are feasible for rapid response. It is through this step that the Office has managed to open schools and health centers that are currently operational in the five woredas.

“For a facility that’s more than 40 percent damaged, we call it recovery, which might require a design and major rehabilitation. We have not yet embarked on that one. We’re at the studying stage, and hopefully we will start it in September,” she explained about the second major step.

In addition to the World Bank-funded program in the five woredas, the Office is also operating other projects in the region.

“We are basically across the entire region working in agriculture, food security, and health-related responses. We are almost everywhere in Tigray now,” Worknesh told

The Reporter.

ReadAlso

Eritrean president warns Ethiopia against waging war

World Bank: ‘Mobile-Phone Technology Powers Saving Surge in Developing Economies’

ADVERTISEMENT
Tags: EthiopiaTigrayWorld Bank
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

10th NASS: Tinubu To Meet LP, PDP, Other Opposition Lawmakers

Next Post

Fuel Subsidy: Independent Marketers Rejects Pump Prices Fixed By NNPCL

You MayAlso Like

News

Relics From an Ancient Egyptian ‘Party Town’ Are Pulled Out of the Sea

August 29, 2025
News

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

August 28, 2025
News

Delta State at 34: A Beacon of Progress and Promise, says Rector Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi Uku

August 27, 2025
News

Passenger train derails in Nigeria, 6 passengers injured

August 26, 2025
News

Stolen Soil, Land Grabbing: Mburubu Community Sends SOS to Enugu Govt

August 26, 2025
News

Gov Mbah Charges Civil Servants to Embrace e-Governance in Enugu

August 25, 2025
Next Post

Fuel Subsidy: Independent Marketers Rejects Pump Prices Fixed By NNPCL

Senator Uche Ekwunife Gives Account Of Stewardship

Discussion about this post

Inside the Battle for Ownership of Madonna University

Stolen Soil, Land Grabbing: Mburubu Community Sends SOS to Enugu Govt

Kemi Badenoch reveals ‘hysterical’ level of personal attacks faced as a black woman

NYSC Member Shares Harrowing Experience with Anambra Vigilantes

Six beers that are good for your gut health – and the ones to avoid

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

  • British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

    1240 shares
    Share 496 Tweet 310
  • Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

    1066 shares
    Share 426 Tweet 267
  • Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

    972 shares
    Share 389 Tweet 243
  • ‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

    904 shares
    Share 361 Tweet 226
  • Crisis echoes, fears grow in Amechi Awkunanaw in Enugu State

    735 shares
    Share 294 Tweet 184
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

British government apologizes to Peter Obi, as hired impostors, master manipulators on rampage abroad

April 13, 2023

Maids trafficked and sold to wealthy Saudis on black market

December 27, 2022
Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

Flight Attendant Sees Late Husband On Plane

September 22, 2023
‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

‘Céline Dion Dead 2023’: Singer killed By Internet Death Hoax

March 21, 2023
Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu, wife of Willie Obiano, former governor of Anambra state

NIGERIA: No, wife of Biafran warlord, Bianca Ojukwu lied – Ebele Obiano:

0

SOUTH AFRICA: TO LEAVE OR NOT TO LEAVE?

0
kelechi iheanacho

TOP SCORER: IHEANACHA

0
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

WHAT CAN’TBE TAKEN AWAY FROM JONATHAN

0

Prince Harry ‘to meet with King Charles’ when he returns to UK for anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death

August 29, 2025

Relics From an Ancient Egyptian ‘Party Town’ Are Pulled Out of the Sea

August 29, 2025

Get your children the chickenpox jab to stop the anti-vaxxers, minister tells parents

August 29, 2025

Africa’s largest refugee-hosting country is facing backlash over US migrant deal

August 28, 2025

ABOUT US

Time Africa Magazine

TIME AFRICA MAGAZINE is an African Magazine with a culture of excellence; a magazine without peer. Nearly a third of its readers hold advanced degrees and include novelists, … READ MORE >>

SECTIONS

  • Aviation
  • Column
  • Crime
  • Europe
  • Featured
  • Gallery
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Israel-Hamas
  • Lifestyle
  • Magazine
  • Middle-East
  • News
  • Politics
  • Press Release
  • Russia-Ukraine
  • Science
  • Special Report
  • Sports
  • TV/Radio
  • UAE
  • UK
  • US
  • World News

Useful Links

  • AllAfrica
  • Channel Africa
  • El Khabar
  • The Guardian
  • Cairo Live
  • Le Republicain
  • Magazine: 9771144975608
  • Subscribe to TIME AFRICA biweekly news magazine

    Enjoy handpicked stories from around African continent,
    delivered anywhere in the world

    Subscribe

    • About Time Africa Magazine
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • WHO’SWHO AWARDS
    • Politics
    • Column
    • Interviews
    • Gallery
    • Lifestyle
    • Special Report
    • Sports
    • TV/Radio
    • Aviation
    • Health
    • Science
    • World News

    © 2025 Time Africa Magazine - All Right Reserved. Time Africa is a trademark of Times Associates, registered in the U.S, & Nigeria. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.