Abuja, NIGERIA – The military high command, on Thursday, officially announced that retiring generals from the Army, Navy and Air Force have indicated their intention to embark on compulsory retirement following the appointment of their juniors as Service Chiefs.
It was gathered that over 200 generals from the three services were exiting the military following the appointment of Service Chiefs.
This was as the Directorate of Defence Media Operations, explained why troops of Operation Delta Safe burnt the impounded vessel loaded with suspected stolen crude oil during military operations in the Niger Delta region.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Maj Gen Christopher Musa, is of the 38 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defence Academy while the other military service chiefs are of the 39 Regular Course.
Following their appointment, generals who were senior to the new service chief and some of their course mates were expected to exit the service.
Already, military officers, who were course mates of the former service chiefs, notably, Courses 37 and 36 had exited the military.
Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja, the Acting Director Defence Information, Brig-Gen Tukur Gusau, said the affected officers from the three services had already turned in their application for voluntary retirement.
“From day one that you got admitted to NDA, you know your seniors and your juniors. When your junior is appointed service chief, you have to put in your retirement papers. So, I confirmed to you that officers have put in their application for voluntary retirement.
“Officers put in their applications for voluntary retirement and they got their responses from the various military secretaries. When we get the number, we will let you know,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Directorate of Defence Media Operations, has explained why troops of Operation Delta Safe burnt the impounded vessel loaded with suspected stolen crude oil during military operations in the Niger Delta region.
Speaking in Abuja, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj General Edward Buba, said troops, who intercepted and destroyed the vessel loaded with stolen crude oil followed instruction and strict adherence to the military operational code of conduct.
“On 11 July 23, the vessel was destroyed by an extant operating procedure that stipulates instant destruction of any vehicle, vessel or equipment linked with crude oil theft,” he said.
Responding to questions on the need to review such laws based on the environmental implication of such decisions, he said the military follows orders.
“In the military, we follow instruction. If it (the law) is reviewed, we will work with it,” he said.